This is the simplest way to stay grateful…
Years ago I was struggling with my shoulders. They were hurting! I had a rather big head on it and I couldn’t seem to find a way to gain any sense of humility. So, with all of my struggles and woes, my sponsor suggested that I write a gratitude list.
Whenever I start to feel like my ego is taking over, or that my life is in the dumps, or that a task at hand seems impossible, he tells me to take the list out and read it. Instantly, I feel better…
I now keep a journal of the things I am grateful for. I started with about 10…. Over the years it has turned in to a book of gratitude; pages full of love, blessings, and thanks.
Ever wonder how to write a gratitude list? Let me show you:
- I am grateful for my parents
- I’m grateful for my wife
- I’m grateful for my friends! (The ones that stuck around…)
- I’m grateful to be alive
- I’m grateful to be in good health
- I’m grateful to be able to smile today
- I’m grateful for you reading this
- I’m grateful I can read this, let alone write it!
- I’m grateful for my education
- I’m grateful for being able to go to college
- I’m grateful to be a business owner
- I’m grateful to be able to help others
- I’m grateful to have others want to help me
- I’m grateful for being able to support my family
- I’m grateful people gave me a second, third and fourth chance
- I’m grateful for my brothers
- I’m grateful for my hobbies
- I’m grateful to be able to sleep a whole night just for today
- I’m grateful to wake up without a hangover
- I’m grateful to be healthy (it’s okay to repeat things)
- I’m grateful for my sobriety
- I’m grateful for my new baby on the way
- I’m grateful for my clients
- I’m grateful for my new clean morality
- I’m grateful for honesty in my life
You can keep going and going.. and you’ll notice that you might repeat some, that is OK. This list took me only a few minutes. It’s easy once you get started, and you should feel relief from the insanity, immediately!!
This is the essence of a gratitude list. I hope you find as much comfort in building and reading it as I do.