How Writing a Gratitude List Helps Me Stay Sober & Happy
Years ago I was struggling with my shoulders. They were hurting! I had a rather big head on it and I couldn’t seem to find a way to gain any sense of humility. So, with all of my struggles and woes, my sponsor suggested that I write a gratitude list to help me stay sober!
Whenever I start to feel like my ego is taking over, or that my life is in the dumps, or that a task at hand seems impossible, he tells me to take the list out and read it. Instantly, I feel better…
I now keep a journal of the things I am grateful for. I started with about 10…. Over the years it has turned in to a book of gratitude; pages full of love, blessings, and thanks.
Ever wonder how to write a gratitude list? Let me show you:
- I am grateful for my wife
- I am grateful for my daughter and her health
- I am grateful for my new baby boy and his health
- I’m grateful for my parents
- I’m grateful for my friends! (The ones that stuck around…)
- I’m grateful to be alive
- I’m grateful to be in good health
- I’m grateful to be able to smile today
- I’m grateful for you reading this
- I’m grateful I can read this, let alone write it!
- I’m grateful for my education
- I’m grateful for being able to go to college
- I’m grateful to be a business owner
- I’m grateful to be able to help others
- I’m grateful to have others want to help me
- I’m grateful for being able to support my family
- I’m grateful people gave me a second, third and fourth chance
- I’m grateful for my brothers
- I’m grateful for my hobbies
- I’m grateful to be able to sleep a whole night just for today
- I’m grateful to wake up without a hangover
- I’m grateful to be healthy (it’s okay to repeat things)
- I’m grateful for my sobriety
- I’m grateful to have saved money since I got sober
- I’m grateful I’m not in debt
- I’m grateful for my clients
- I’m grateful for my new clean morality
- I’m grateful fo my relationship with God
- I’m grateful for honesty in my life
- I’m grateful to be in recovery from alcohol and drugs and to stay sober
If you want more insight on how to create a gratitude list – check out this article from our friends at AddictionBlog.
You can keep going and going.. and you’ll notice that you might repeat some, that is OK. This list took me only a few minutes. It’s easy once you get started, and you should feel relief from the insanity, immediately!! I get to stay sober today because of many tools; a gratitude list is one of many.
This is the essence of a gratitude list. I hope you find as much comfort in building and reading it as I do.